A Winter in Blue

§ February 1st, 2006 § Filed under Caps, Hats, Etc., Lace work, Mittens, Gloves, etc § 7 Comments

bluemohairset.JPG
So here it is, the blue winter set, in Brooks Farm wool/mohair. The scarf, a Jane Sowerby design from Knitter’s Winter 04 was knit last winter around this time, not a time I want to remember with great fondness. Lots of job and home issues, the latter quite literally,  with the worst landlord in the world giving us a horrible time. I always think of him somehow when I wear this scarf, and that is not good. But it was wonderful to knit, very easy. The watch cap is my own pattern, made up as I went along, and the gloves are from Katharina Buss’s Big Book of Knitting.

Specs:

Scarf: Brooks Farm 100% mohair, took about 475 yards on a size 6, it’s about 6 ft x1.5 ft.
Hat: BF 100% mohair + 50% mohair/wool, one strand each on a size 6. Took about 200 yards.
Gloves: BF: 50% mohair/wool on a size 2, am not sure how much, but less than 300 yds. I don’t think I want to knit gloves again for a while. As I finished I was thinking: 42 loose ends to weave in, wtf? But then if you leave the ones in the fingers unwoven, who’s going to notice? Maybe I’ll try Nona’s totally cool top-down pattern someday, but not for a while.

And mohair, I have realised while picking innumerable bits of fibre from my teeth, eyes, collar and furniture, is a royal PITA. I mean, I like warm and fuzzy, but it doesn’t wear well at all. People ooh and aah over Rowan Kidsilk Haze, I just don’t get it.

Here’s a picture of the scarf taken a year agobluemohairscarf1.JPG
I wonder if reblocking and reblocking is the answer, though, because I fear that it damages the delicate fibres too. Ah well, at least it’s toasty.

7 Responses to “A Winter in Blue”

• lobstah says:

Very pretty and cozy-looking set…sorry about the bad memories with it :(

Also, thanks for the tip on All-Seasons Cotton being machine washable, definitely a good thing to know! I hate hand washing!

• spudsayshi says:

Loverly. Even if stretched or fuzzed or whatever happened to it. I had shape-holding problems with their 100 % mohair for me, too. I did a simple garter stitch scarf that stretched so very far out that it ended up almost twice the intended length.

• Alison says:

Pretty scarf set. Try to forget about the bad landlord memories; it’s too pretty to have bad memories attached! You might have to reblock. I can’t work with mohair because of an allergy, but I know I need to reblock one of my 100% alpaca shawls.

• desiknitter says:

Thanks, all! Even if it isn’t cold enough to wear this winter (not that I’m complaining about it, really), it is nice to photograph the set and get comments on the blog about it.

• Manasi says:

Such a lovely scarf! Looks so delicate :)

• desiknitter says:

Thanks, Manasi! I checked out your store, btw, and it’s really doing very well! I am on a yarn diet right now, but will be looking out for some worsted weight very soon and will visit again.

• Helen says:

Hi Desiknitter,

My mother will be delighted that you found the pattern so easy to knit, I think she would recommend reblocking but if you’d like to ask her yourself, try her on sowerby001@ukonline.com.

She has a book of lace knits coming out very shortly and she always wants to know if she can add any extra details to make the patterns easier to follow and the designs easier to wear!