Kiri shawl, at long last

§ August 30th, 2007 § Filed under Lace work, Shawls § 13 Comments

I finished it, finally, and here it is:

kirishawl.jpg

kiri2

kiri1

I raved about this shawl pattern when I began it, and it is really one of the simplest, yet prettiest triangular patterns. If I could actually knit about 70% of it in 100-degree-plus weather, you can bet that it was special. The fern leaf motif is quickly memorised, the edging is elegant and it’s easily adaptable to different weights. It’s quite a well-known pattern by Polly Outhwaite, but still, if you’re new to it, the free pattern is here (.pdf).

I’ve been knitting it for so long, it seems though, that I have a strange sense of anti-climax and irritation, that is amplified by the smell of the wet wool. I also can’t help feeling strangely dissatisfied with triangular shawls after they’re done. They are definitely process projects, the complete opposite of rectangular stoles, boring as hell to knit but totally worth it when done. I wrapped Kiri around me this morning after unpinning it, and even though it’s fingering yarn and the wingspan is nearly 80 inches, it still feels small, and as if most of it isn’t really going towards the warming effort – large bits hang down your arms and hug your bottom.

I know, these are meant to gently, airily take the chill off an early fall evening, not keep you warm in a winter gale. This one is going to England, just in time, to Bua, my husband’s aunt who generously gave me a suitcase full of yarn one summer, with some stashes of Rowan and Jaeger in it, when I visited her. Thank you, Bua, this little knitted thank you has taken me a long time!

Project Notes:

Yarn: Brown Sheep Fingering 100% wool, in a big-assed cone. I have no idea how much I used, but I’ll weigh the shawl at the post office today and then calculate the approximate yardage. The colourway was Maple something, which bled in the wash. The colour is fairly accurate in the first picture. The yarn is soft, but one word that describes it well is durable.

Dimensions: 70 x 27 before blocking, 80 x 38 after blocking (not very severely, am thinking of steam-ironing the border)

Repeats: 17 repeats, plus the initial leaf and the edging

Needle: Size 4, with size 6 for the edging, and size 7 for the cast-off row. This going up a size for the edging and cast off is highly recommended!

Finally, since I finished this before the start of term and Labor day, I am totally claiming this as a project started and finished during summer. Now, onward to fall, garments, holiday gifts…

13 Responses to “Kiri shawl, at long last”

• Knit Masala says:

Oh, that turned out so pretty! I’m not much for triangular shawls, but that is a lovely stitch motif. And nice color choice.

• stacey says:

So pretty! The color is very rich and beautiful!

• Dawn says:

I love to knit triangular shawls but I always feel like an old lady wearing them. It doesn’t stop me, though. Your Kiri is gorgeous!! I love the color and it is on my to-do list. I even have the pattern printed out. So little time, so many knits!

• Ruth says:

Lovely! And I’m sure it will be a relief to have a clean slate again.

• mazhalai says:

beautiful!! and I’m sure your aunt will love it

• Opal says:

Absolutely gorgeous. I love the colour and the pattern. Everything works so well in this shawl.

BTW, I love wearing triangular shawls in the summer when air conditioning gets too aggressive. This happens all too often in Hawaii, but you won’t find me complaining as shawls are just about my favorite thing to knit. :-D

• spudsayshi says:

Great color–P’s aunt is a lucky woman!

I have yet to knit a triangular shawl. I keep thinking I won’t use one. Hmmm. Is the process worth it?

• Andree says:

Beautiful!

• Shauna says:

Oh, that came out really nice! I love knitting triangular shawls too, but I get annoyed when I try to wear them because the ends droop down and get in the way. My shawls are all pulled out of shape at the ends from exasperated knotting!

• lobstah says:

Lovely job! I’ve so far knitted one triangular shawl and one rectangular and to be honest I never wear either of them! *hangs head in shame* I just started another rectangular one too, so I guess for me, shawls are definitely a process rather than product knitted item.

• Anjali says:

You know, don’t you, that if you do not like any of those beautiful, complicated traingular shawls you knit with such perseverance, there is one person here who is waiting outside your window, so to speak, with hands out to take a catch? –(big grin)

Lovely work, really.

• pamela wynne says:

Beautiful! I bet the wool has the perfect balance between floaty and drapey. And I like the somewhat sturdier look of lace shawls in fingering weight. Oh! and I’ve just started my first triangular shawl — inspired by, among other things, all of yours! :)

• Anne Davies says:

Hi
    This is beautiful.
    Would by chance anyone have a pattern in English.
    I have spent a lot of time tryig to find a pattern so I could knit this shawl. All the patterns are in other languages, but English.
    Can anyone help me.