Two years old

§ November 12th, 2007 § Filed under Food and Drink, Life, Uncategorized § 29 Comments

Two years ago on this day, I took the plunge into blogging. I gave myself three months, then six, and then a year to see if I was really going to stick with it. I had picked the name randomly for a knitting forum login and just went with it. My first anniversary didn’t even register. In between periodic bouts of angst about ‘Why Am I Photographing This’ and ‘Who Is Reading This Anyway’, doing a roughly weekly post over the past two years has validated my tag-line about keeping me (almost) sane more than I realised. I have learned so much about new techniques, adapting patterns, and am much more disciplined (in a good way) about my knitting now. (This is clearly not the time to ponder how obsessed I am with it). The best part has been making blog-friends from all over the world and being part of a wonderful circle of creativity that has taught me so much about the craft. Thank you all! I know there are many who read regularly without commenting, but if you can, do stop today to say hi.

I had hoped to have an FO post by today on the Ogee Tunic, but it has to wait a few more days – definitely by this weekend. Instead, am sharing with all of you a plate of my Diwali faraal.

diwalifaral

Clockwise from top –
1) chiwdaa, which is spiced, flattened rice, available in Indian stores as ‘thin poha’. Basically you roast it and make it crumbly and crisp, then mix it up with a bunch of spices. An excellent recipe for this snack is here.

2) karanji, a deep-fried crescent filled with a mix of fresh grated coconut, brown sugar, powdered cardamom and crushed almonds. The dough is a mix of all-purpose flour and semolina. I made myself sick in childhood once by eating too many of these. This was my first attempt at making them from scratch, and they didn’t disappoint! If anyone wants to try them, the recipe I followed broadly is here.

3) chirote, a kind of south-Indian beignet, if you will – layers and layers of a deep-friend pastry dusted with powdered sugar. As my friend Spud said recently, this combination is a *very good thing* and she is quite right! Here is a good recipe for it.

And now, I think I must celebrate my second blog anniversary by going to the gym!

29 Responses to “Two years old”

• sepoy says:

That was so deeelicious.

• Happy blogiversary! My, those look delicious : )

• spudsayshi says:

Dang, time flies! Though, that said, it feels like I’ve been up on your knitting for longer than two years. Which, I suppose, in a way I have been.

Anyway, those all look lovely and tasty, and I can completely see making yourself sick on the crescent ones. The flavors are mouthwatering.

• Ruth says:

Happy anniversary! Those look yummy. Do you have a fryer, or do you pan fry with a few inches of oil?

• Nancy says:

Happy blogversary!
    All the delicious looking food is making the pizza I am having for lunch taste more and more like cardboard;)

• Anne says:

Oooh, now I’m hungry… especially after reading about the second one!

• Opal says:

Happy Blogiversary! :-)

• mazhalai says:

drool drool drool at the mitai
    and Happy Blog anniversary!

• Michelle says:

I enjoy reading your blog very much, here’s to another year!

• orata says:

chiwdaa! My bf’s mom makes something I always mentally spelled “chuda” with cereal instead of rice flakes, that’s basically like chex mix with peanuts and Indian spices. I’m guessing it’s essentially the same thing… i.e. DELICIOUS.

• orata says:

p.s. Happy blogiversary and happy Diwali!

• Barbara says:

Congrats, I’m so happy you’ve kept blogging.

• mmmmm Oh that looks yummy
    and happy blogiversary, two, so a toddler?

• Cindy says:

Happy blogiversary – I’m glad you have stuck with it too, I really enjoy reading and seeing your beautiful projects, and cooking!

• kelp! says:

Happy blogiversary! You should send some Indian delicacies to your readers, yum!

• Pikku-Kettu says:

Congratulations! Mm’mm, Indian food… :)

• Alison says:

Happy blogiversary! Such yummy looking food.

• stacey says:

Happy Blogivarsary! What a great way to celebrate!

• Mary says:

I so enjoy popping by your blog for a moment to see what you are knitting. And you knit lovely stuff. Also, I must not forget to say how much I adore seeing the Bollywood clips you post on occasion. And your meanderings via academic thought through cultural interactions and The Archives (previous words to be read with a deep booming voice) are always a treat to read. Thank you so much for your blog. Happy blogiversary and the very best to you for the years to come.

ps. you made me hungry this time with all those pastries and that rice…

• Amy says:

Many happy returns on your two-year mark!!! Those tasties look *killer*.

• Jennifer says:

Happy blogiversary! That food looks tasty!

• lobstah says:

Happy blogiversary, it’s been much fun reading it. I really, really need to make those karanji. Coconut and cardamom…two of my favorite things, mmm.

• Deepa says:

Congratulations! Sounds like you had a delicious Diwali. You’re inspiring me to do some traditional things next year. I always get very bummed on festival days, especially Diwali, since it seems like business as usual to everyone. Thanks for reminding me that it doesn’t have to be that way.

And next year Diwali is on my birthday, just like it was the year I was born. :)

• ManDuka says:

Happy Blogiversary!

I wouldn’t have spent the last hour hunched** over a pair of knitting needles trying to figure out how to do 1/1 LPCs and RPCs if it wasn’t for you and your blog…and you know I wouldn’t ever have gone anywhere near knitting needles if it wasn’t for that fabulous red rangoli hat.

**: btw, how do knitters manage not to get a crick in the neck from staring down at the needles for a good hour or so?

PS: I couldn’t think of a more apt knitter handle for myself seeing as how I’m going be spending some quality time in the frog pond.

• roggey says:

Congrats on two years! Oh, I shouldn’t have read this post 2 hours before lunch…good thing I brought leftover mashed veggie curry for lunch today =)

• Amanda says:

Happy anniversary! I really like your blog a lot. You’re the only person I know, other than myself, who is serious about both knitting and Bollywood.

• mel says:

I am a little late, but a VERY happy Blogiversary to you! I have been enjoying your blog very much :)

Thank you for sharing pictures and recipes of your Diwali treats – my mouth is watering!

• Hey, despite having just returned overstuffed from the land-o-faral, everything on that plate looks gorgeous!!! Congratulations on your blogiversary 2!

Have been catching up with your old posts as well, and I saw some really beautiful photos in the last few. Nice job.

• Shivaji on Rav says:

Arriving breathless a few years too late, thanks to your post on Ravelry today. Your photography shows the faral off to great advantage. I can get the aroma just by looking at your photo. Goans make nevrio for festivals. They’re the same as karanji, I think. It’s been far too long since I last had any.