FO: Nilu the Caterpillar

§ June 22nd, 2011 § Filed under Baby things, Toys § 8 Comments

On a long (but duronto!) rail journey across the country, watching the sashaying bogies from the window as the train went along a curve, it was most appropriate that I was knitting a cotton train of sorts myself:

nilu1

nilu5

This is Nilu the Caterpillar. Adapted from Kimberly Chapman’s amazing set of free toy patterns. He is many shades of blue, hence, obviously, the name.

nilu6

Project Notes:

Pattern: Caterpillar by Kimberly Chapman
Gauge: 5 spi / 6spi for the navy
Needle: size 4 US (3.5 mm) dpns for the blue and purple balls, and 1 US (2.25 mm) dpns for the navy ball, and the applied I-cord edging
Yarn: Leftover little balls of cotton yarn, I’m not really sure what brands they were.

nilu4

This is the simplest, quickest toy to make – cast on, join in the round, increase a few times, knit straight for a few rows, decrease equal number of times, stuff, repeat, and decrease all the way down in the last one. You can adapt it to any gauge, and also stuff as you go to see how large you want it. You can add or subtract the number of balls. You can even change the needles to keep to a similar size if you use different-weight yarns, as I did. I also ditched the legs and just made two I-cord antennae and sewed on eyes. Thank you, Kimberly Chapman, for a great free pattern, and lots of inspiration!

nilu3

Nilu and M are already best friends. He is just learning to turn on to his side and fall on his tummy, and wraps himself around the toy, koala-bear style, as he does it. Generally, he seems to like long, tubular toys, so my mind is abuzz with pattern ideas for similar shapes. In the meantime, I hope Nilu is durable and patient, because it looks like he is going to get some rough treatment in the coming weeks.

nilu2

8 Responses to “FO: Nilu the Caterpillar”

• Swapna says:

Oh my, he’s looking so grown up!

I still haven’t made any toys for Chandra, bad mother.

• Sanhita says:

M has really become a big boy!! :-)
    love the way he’s hugging Nilu!

• mazhalai says:

Oh how cute Nilu is. but M steals the show.
    hugs to him!

• Manduka says:

Wow! He looks like a little person already! Cuuuute!

[Show him a real caterpillar as soon as possible. ;-) ]

• Preeti says:

What a great toy! I totally agree with Mazhalai though, M steals the show!!

• Entre Nous says:

Oh my computer was out of service for nearly a TEAR, got it back today, I have SO missed your knitting! Was forced to hi-jack others machines whenever I got the opportunity just to keep my blog going! *sigh* So much to catch up on, I’ll be in here for days staring at your gorgeous work!

JP

• yarnydays says:

Hey Hey–He is SO cute. I mean, the kid. Of course, the toy is cute too…but nothing much compares to him, does it? How are you, by the way?

• kodaiknitter says:

I am just so thrilled to have come upon your blog. I belong to a knitting group in Kodaikanal and we would love to stay in touch and share news and projects with you and other knitters in India. I, too, am a big fan of Ravelry, to which I was introduced by a knitter in Seattle. I am out of town at the moment, but will start a blog as soon as I get back.